Ricky Gervais will once again step back into the spotlight when he takes the stage to host the 2016 Golden Globe Awards on Sunday, Jan. 10.
It's been four years since Gervais hosted the event—hat tip to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler for taking on the gig and nailing it from 2013 to 2015—and the break is sure to have allowed the "Derek" actor time to come up with enough biting, of-the-moment zingers to skewer Hollywood throughout the roughly three-hour live telecast.
It's a practice he honed over his fist three stints as Globes' host. Here, some of the comedian's best gags and one-liners from his former stints shepherding Hollywood's big night:
1. "Actors aren't just loved here in Hollywood, they are loved the world over. You could be in the third world and get a glimpse of a Hollywood star and it could make you feel a little bit better. You could be a little Asian child with no possessions and no money. But you could see a picture of Angelina Jolie and you'd think, 'Mummy!'" (2010)
2. "This next category is a bit of a downer. It's for writing. We all know writers get too much credit in Hollywood, when actors mention them. I don't mean to keep going on about actors, but they're the most important ones, OK? It's not the words you say, it's how good you look when you're saying them." (2010)
3. "I hope I haven't offended anyone. It's not my fault [points at his drink]. I like a drink as much as the next man. Unless the next man is Mel Gibson. (2010)
4. "It's going to be a night of partying and heavy drinking – or as Charlie Sheen calls it: breakfast." (2011)
5. "Next up, Eva Longoria has the daunting task of introducing the President of the Hollywood Foreign Press. That's nothing, I just had to help him off the toilet and pop his teeth in." (2011)
6. "For any of you who don't know, the Golden Globes are just like the Oscars, but without all that esteem. The Golden Globes are to the Oscars what Kim Kardashian is to Kate Middleton. A bit louder, a bit trashier, a bit drunker, and more easily bought. Allegedly. Nothing's been proved." (2012)
7. "Last year, our next presenter won both the Golden Globe and the Oscar for her work in 'Black Swan.' This year, she took some time out to have a baby. Consequently, she's been nominated for nothing. Really pathetic. But she learned that valuable lesson you all already knew – never put family first. Please welcome the very foolish Natalie Portman." (2012)
8. "Who needs the Oscars? Not me, and not Eddie Murphy. He walked out on 'em, and good for him. But when the man who said yes to 'Norbit,' says no, you know you're in trouble." (2012)
9. "There were a lot of big films that didn't get nominated. Nothing for 'Sex and the City 2.' I was sure the Golden Globes for special effects would go to the team that airbrushed that poster." (2011)
10. When introducing Tom Hanks and Tim Allen: "What can I say about our next two presenters? The first is an actor, producer, writer and director whose movies have grossed over $3.5 billion at the box office. He's won two Academy Awards and three Golden Globes for his powerful and varied performances starring in such films as 'Philadelphia,' 'Forrest Gump,' 'Castaway,' 'Apollo 13' and 'Saving Private Ryan.' The other is Tim Allen." (2011)
The 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards will air live on Sunday, January 10, 2016, from 8:00 p.m. (ET)/5:00-8:00 p.m. (PT) on NBC.