Beresford-Redman: "I Am Innocent"

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A state attorney general in Mexico has filed murder  charges against TV producer Bruce Beresford-Redman for allegedly killing his  wife in Cancun.

    The charges were filed by state prosecutors in  Quintana Roo, and a Mexican judge Monday evening issued an arrest warrant for  Beresford-Redman. The prosecutor's office said it would would use  diplomatic efforts, international police treaties and other channels to have  him arrested and extradited back to Mexico.

    He is a suspect in the April 5 murder of Monica Beresford-Redman  at a swanky resort on the Caribbean coast.

    Early Tuesday, Beresford-Redman proclaimed his innocence in a statement  released by his attorney, Robert Hirsch. He referred to his wife as  the "axis around which our whole family revolved."

    Quirk in Mexican Law Slows Extradition of Accused Producer

    [LA] Quirk in Mexican Law Slows Extradition of Accused Producer
    Everyone knows that TV producer and accused killer Bruce Beresford-Redman is in Southern California. So why are Mexican authorities still looking for him in their country?

    "I am devastated at her loss, and I am incensed at the suggestion that  I could have had anything to do with her death," the statement said. "I am  innocent. My children have had one parent taken from them by a senseless act of  violence. I implore the Mexican authorities not to take their remaining parent  by a miscarriage of justice and to do what is right, not just what is  expedient."

    The TV producer had been ordered by Mexican police not to leave the  Yucatan peninsula, but returned to his Ranchos Palos Verdes home last week. Beresford-Redman was seen Monday playing with the children in the backyard of his Rancho Palos Verdes home.

    The wife's body was found beaten and strangled in a septic tank at a  Cancun luxury resort on April 8. The husband had reported that she had never  returned from a shopping trip.

    The victim's family released a statement after the arrest warrant was issued.

    "If in fact he is innocent then he should have no problem waiving extradition proceedings and returning to Mexico to defend himself," the family said in the statement. "However, if he is guilty, then shame on him for exploiting his children, he should have considered them before committing this senseless and brutal act of domestic violence upon their mother."

    The couple had taken their children to Cancun in an attempt to  reconcile, but were heard loudly fighting just before she disappeared. The  former producer of "Survivor" and "Pimp My Ride" returned to Los Angeles  last week.

    Memorial services for Monica Beresford-Redman were held Sunday in Culver  City. The couple's children, 5-year-old Camila and 3-year-old Alec, did not  attend the service based on a therapist's recommendation enforced by a ruling  by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff.

    Bruce Beresford-Redman's parents were given temporary custody of the  children in April, and Beckloff extended that guardianship Friday pending a  June 17 court hearing. Both Bruce Beresford-Redman and the murdered woman's  sisters seek permanent custody of the children.

    His attorney, Hirsch, has suggested Monica Beresford-Redman's death  might be connected to several killings that have occurred in the Cancun resort  area.

    Last Friday, Hirsch faced reporters to address the then-imminent filing  of charges in Quintana Roo.