<![CDATA[NBC Southern California - Breaking]]> Copyright 2014 http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/breaking http://media.nbcbayarea.com/designimages/NBC4_40x125.png NBC Southern California http://www.nbclosangeles.com en-us Wed, 22 Oct 2014 02:37:36 -0700 Wed, 22 Oct 2014 02:37:36 -0700 NBC Owned Television Stations <![CDATA["The Shield" Actor Arrested on Suspicion of Murder in Wife's Death]]> Tue, 20 May 2014 04:14:19 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/213*120/web-stringer-jace_1200x675_261113411553.jpg Actor Michael Jace was arrested on suspicion of murder after his wife, April, was found shot to death in their Los Angeles home.]]> <![CDATA[Downey Building "Total Loss" After Blaze]]> Thu, 03 Apr 2014 12:47:05 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/217*120/DOWNEY+FIRE+ONSCENE+CAP.PNG

A commercial office building in Downey is destroyed after a massive fire ripped through it early Thursday morning.

The building's owner told NBC4's Ted Chen that the structure is a "total loss." Firefighters were able to remove two computers in the hopes of salvaging them, but little else appears savable.

The structure was home to the offices of a chiropractor, a few accountants and a real estate agency among others.

The fire, which might have been caused by a gas leak, was reported just after 2 a.m. at the 10000 block of Paramount Boulevard, Battalion Chief Bruce English said. Firefighters reported a partial roof collapse during the attack.

When units arrived on scene, they had a "fully involved north side of the structure with fire through the roof," English said. "We had units go into the structure and had an aggressive firefighter attack."

Firefighters were evacuated from inside the structure when the roof and interior structure of the building were close to collapsing, officials said.

The cause was being investigated by arson investigators on scene, English said. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Neighbors told NBC4's Adrian Arambulo and Ted Chen that they heard a loud explosion prior to the start of the fire.

Because the cause of the fire may be gas-related, all gas in the area has been shut off.

A SigAlert was issued for Paramount Boulevard between 5th Street and 6th Street for an undetermined time.

There is no estimate on the total amount of damage yet.

]]>
<![CDATA[One Dead In South Los Angeles Home Fire]]> Mon, 24 Mar 2014 00:34:06 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/216*120/Fatal+Fire.PNG

A body was found after firefighters put out a blaze to a one-story home in South Los Angeles Saturday night.

The fire was reported about 10:40 p.m. at 323 East 106th Street, officials said. A man was found beyond medical help, said Katherine Main of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

Arson investigators said the house fire appears to be suspicious

Smoke alarms were present in the home but it was unknown whether or not they were operational, Main said.

Neighbors said the man who died lived at the home with a woman he called his wife and their two children.

 

Fire officials said it will take a week to determine the official cause of this house fire.

LAFD returned to the neighborhood Sunday morning to distribute smoke alarms, batteries and fire safety information to residents.

Firefighters were going to distribute smoke alarms, batteries and safety information around 9:30 a.m. in the area. House fires in Los Angeles County have spiked this year, with more than 10 deaths in just four months. Last year, a total of 20 people died in fires.

]]>
<![CDATA[5 Women Die in Limousine Fire on Calif. Bridge]]> Mon, 06 May 2013 03:34:03 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/214*120/limofirenew.jpg

Five women in their 30s died Saturday night when a stretch limousine burst into flames on the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge over the San Francisco Bay, police confirmed to NBC News.

Four other people in the limo escaped with burn and smoke inhalation injuries, California Highway Patrol Officer Art Montiel said. The car's driver was unhurt. 

Montiel said the women were "probably killed by the fire," though the cause of death has not been confirmed, NBC News reported.

Witnesses told NBC Bay Area the white Lincoln Town Car was not involved in an accident prior to catching on fire. It was not clear what could have sparked the flames. 

The car was driving from Alameda to Foster City, Montiel said.

When asked if an "explosion" had occurred, Montiel told NBC News it was unconfirmed, however he did say the "vehicle was partially engulfed."'

A viewer named David Solomon sent in the picture above that he said of was of the limo.

The fire was first reported around 10 p.m. in the third lane of westbound state Highway 92, according to the California Highway Patrol. 

The bridge, located about 20 miles southeast of San Francisco, connects San Mateo and Alemada counties. The westbound lanes were closed for several hours.

 

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



Photo Credit: David Solomon]]>
<![CDATA[White House Press Secretary Discusses Conn. School Shooting]]> Fri, 01 Nov 2013 09:55:05 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/213*120/whitehouse4.jpg White House Press Secretary Jay Carney discusses Friday's mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school.

Photo Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS]]>
<![CDATA[911 Call in Seau Suicide Released]]> Sat, 05 May 2012 19:09:05 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/213*120/Seau-1_0502.jpg

The 911 call in the suicide of former San Diego Charger Junior Seau was released Friday.

The call details the moments after Junior Seau was discovered dead in his Oceanside home by his girlfriend Megan. Listen to 911 call: Warning graphic

Seau's girlfriend can be heard screaming hysterically, "Oh my God! I  need an ambulance. Oh my God!"

"My boyfriend shot himself," she continued.

Seau, 43, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest Wednesday officials said. A day later, the county's medical examiner confirmed the death was a suicide.

At the beginning of the call, Megan said she had just returned to the home on South Strand Boulevard after working out.

"The gun is just next to him in the bed," she said.

Breathing heavily and crying throughout the call, Seau's girlfriend asks twice "What do I do?

Emergency dispatch workers ask the girlfriend to move the 260-pound linebacker and start CPR.

She puts the phone down and moves Seau. Soon after, you can hear emergency responders arrive to the home and question her about what time she found Seau's body.

Seau was found in one of the bedrooms of the home around 9:30 a.m. Megan told the 911 operator it appeared Seau had shot himself "in the heart."

A handgun was found next to Seau's body however no suicide note was found according to Oceanside police.

Seau became a Charger in 1990 and was voted to 12 consecutive Pro Bowls from 1991 to 2002.

The former Charger got his start at Oceanside High School, where he played football as a linebacker. Seau then became a star linebacker at the University of Southern California before he playing for the Chargers. He was with the Chargers until 2003, and then played for the Miami Dolphins and the New England Patriots.

He retired from football in 2009, according to the NFL.

Follow NBCSanDiego for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

]]>
<![CDATA[More Crimes Linked to OC Murder Suspect]]> Fri, 03 Feb 2012 00:14:47 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/213*120/Itzcoatl+Ocampo+AP120114175140.jpg

The suspect in a string of transient murders in Orange County has been linked to additional crimes, according to Anaheim police.

Itzcoatl Ocampo, 23, has been connected with the suspect of another fatal stabbing in Orange County, police said Thursday during a news conference.

Detectives are investigating Ocampo's link to the fatal stabbings of a Yorba Linda woman and her son in October, said Lt. Julian Harvey of the Homeless Homicide Taskforce.

Another man, Eder Herrera, has been charged with those murders, but police suspect Ocampo was also involved.

Police would not comment on the connection between Ocampo and Herrera, but based on the location of the crime, the proximity to his residence and the modus operandi (MO), they are linking the two incidents previously thought to be separate, Harvey said.

Ocampo, an Iraq War veteran, was arrested Jan. 13 and charged with the murders of four homeless men in OC, including Anaheim, Placentia and Yorba Linda.

Police at the time said they were "extremely confident" that they had taken into custody the man responsible for the slayings.

Shortly after his arrest, prosecutors said they would consider seeking the death penalty against. He has been charged in the stabbing deaths of four transients.

"In each of these cases, the violence, the number of stab wounds increased," OC District Attorney Tony Rackauckas told NBC LA.

An arraignment scheduled for Jan. 18 was postponed, pushing Ocampo's arraignment to Feb. 17. He remains jailed without bail.

Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: Twitter: @NBCLA // Facebook: NBCLA



Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Tribute Grows for Victims of Seal Beach Massacre]]> Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:18:36 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/213*120/7627244_N5PPKGSEALBEACHSALON_722x406_2155386024.jpg Flowers, candles and photographs line the sidewalk outside of the Salon Meritage in Seal Beach, where eight people were killed on Wednesday.]]> <![CDATA[Rihanna Concert Cut Short by Fire]]> Sat, 09 Jul 2011 15:39:22 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/179*120/117606867.jpg

R&B star Rihanna's Dallas concert was cut short Friday night by a fire.

The show at the American Airlines Center went off without a hitch until a pyrotechnics display high above the singer caught fire, Dallas Fire-Rescue said Saturday.

Rihanna, dressed in a floor-length canary-colored gown with a bejeweled black and white neckline, quickly exited at stage left as sparks fell to the floor.

Many fans who were lucky enough to score front-row tickets quickly moved toward the exits.

Shortly thereafter, smoke started to fill the arena, the lights came on, and sirens began to go off.

Fans cheered when the fire was put out, but concert-goers were evacuated from the AAC.

Dallas Fire-Rescue said it received calls saying the curtains and part of the stagework caught fire, but the fire was out by the time firefighters arrived.

"DALLAS!!! We set the stage on FYAH tonight!!! LITERALLY!!! I'm so pissed, I was havin so much fun wit yall too!!! I gotta come back man!!" Rihanna tweeted after the stadium was evacuated.

Later on Twitter, she said she was heading into a meeting to find out what happened.

Rihanna also promised on Twitter that she would be back to Dallas.

Dallas Fire-Rescue confirmed that no one was injured in the fire and no citations were issued.



Photo Credit: Getty Images]]>
<![CDATA[Aguilera Selling Former Osbourne Pad]]> Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:49:45 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/213*120/ChristinaAguileraC.jpg Christina Aguilera’s Beverly Hills mansion is on the market for a cool $13.5 million. The 10,000 square foot crib was the former home of rocker Ozzy Osbourne and his wife Sharon. It is also where they filmed their MTV reality TV show "The Osbournes." View the listing.]]> <![CDATA[Dramatic Photos: Devastation in Japan]]> Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:27:37 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/213*120/ap-british-oil-cleanup.jpg A magnitude 8.9 earthquake slammed Japan's northeastern coast Friday, unleashing a 13-foot tsunami that swept boats, cars, buildings and tons of debris miles inland and prompting a "nuclear emergency."

Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Tsunami Advisory Issued for Hawaii, West Coast]]> Fri, 11 Mar 2011 05:00:45 -0700

A tsunami advisory was issued by the National Weather Service for the Southern California coast south of Point Concepcion, including the southern part of San Luis Obispo County,  as well as the counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego after a an 8.9-magnitude earthquake off Japan's north coast sent waves racing across the Pacific.

A tsunami advisory means that a tsunami with the capacity to produce strong waves that would be dangerous to anyone near or in the water are expected, but that widespread inundation is not expected.

Waves should start to hit Santa Barbara around 8:17 am and the Santa Monica and San Pedro harbors around 8:32 a.m.

According to the National Weather Service "the potential exists for a tsunami 3 feet or less in Southern and Central California."

]]>
<![CDATA[Belgian Man Runs 365 Marathons in 365 Consecutive Days]]> Sat, 05 Feb 2011 14:00:10 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/160*120/20110205+Marathon+Champ.jpg

Belgian Runner Stefaan Engels completed his 365th marathon in as many days in Barcelona, Spain, Saturday, setting a Guinness World Record in the process.

The so-called “Marathon Man” logged a 9,569 miles in the past year as he finished the 26.2-mile races in seven countries.

“For me, it is an experiment for myself, an experiment with my mind to find out what is possible,” Engels told Canada's National Post in September, after he had finished number 207. “After eight months, I think this is possible.”

It turns out Engels was right.

The 49-year-old obliterated the previous record held by Japanese runner Akinori Kusuda who completed 52 marathons on consecutive days in 2009.

For Engels, it was the second time he made it into the Guinness Book of World Records. In 2008, he earned the honor for finishing a record 20 Iron Man triathlons in a single year.

Selected Reading: USA Today, Agence France-Presse, National Post
 



Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Egypt in Crisis: Complete Coverage]]> Tue, 01 Feb 2011 11:38:26 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/160*120/013011+Egypt+protest.jpg

Photo Credit: AP]]>
<![CDATA[Deputy Shot in Face to Undergo Surgery]]> Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:30:28 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/160*120/5079051_N5PPKGDEPUTYSHOTFOLO_640x480.jpg A LA Sheriff's Deputy shot in the line of duty in East LA escaped serious brain injury but will undergo surgery on his eye. Gordon Tokumatsu Reports.]]> <![CDATA[Chevy Volt Wins Top Car Honor At Detroit Auto Show]]> Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:00:15 -0700 http://media.nbclosangeles.com/images/160*120/chevy+volt-6401.jpg

The Chevy Volt—a plug-in hybrid vehicle that can go up to 375 miles without recharging its battery—was named the top North American car of the year at the Detroit Auto Show Monday.

Chevrolet calls the plug-in Volt “a full-performance electric vehicle.” Unlike hybrids like the Toyota Prius, the Volt is designed to travel long distances on electric power alone, and can even travel 35 miles without tapping its gas reserves.

The Hyundai Sonata sedan and the all-electric Nissan Leaf finished behind the Volt when judged by 49 automotive journalists from Canada and the United States. The judges considered factors like handling, driver satisfaction, and innovation when making their picks, according to the New York Times.

Detroit was the latest honor for the eco-friendly vehicle, which gets 40 miles per gallon on the highway when running on fuel. It was already named the 2011 Green Car of the Year and Motor Trend Magazine’s 2011 Car of the Year.

The all-new energy-efficient Ford Explorer won the North American truck of the year award. So far, neither the Volt nor the Explorer have the sales numbers to match their accolades, but that didn’t dissuade the judges from casting their votes.

“Even though the sales aren’t there yet, it’s sort of a chicken-and-egg thing,” judge Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst at Edmunds.com, told Bloomberg’s Craig Trudell. “We have to go there, but the sales aren’t there yet.”

Driving emissions-free for most commutes means a little pain upfront. The Volt will set you back $41,000. Even with a $7,500 federal tax credit for plug-in hybrids factored in, the Volt is more expensive than most of its competitors.

Innovation, not price, was the major concern for General Motors in designing and marketing the car.

“Since development began, we believed the Volt had the potential to transform the automotive industry,” GM CEO Dan Akerson said in a statement.

The Volt continues to rack up the trophies. Earlier this year, Ward’s AutoWorld named its drivetrain one of the 10 best of the year, and Car & Driver named the Volt one of the best 10 cars of the year.

Aside from its “top car” honors, the plug-in hybrid was given a “breakthrough technology” award by Popular Mechanics.

The Volt is currently available only in California, the New York metropolitan area, Washington D.C. and Austin, Texas. It will be on sale nationwide in the next 12 to 18 months.

Selected Reading: Bloomberg, New York TimesCrain's Detroit Business
 



Photo Credit: Getty Images]]>