A 21-month-old boy who was abducted in San Francisco has been found safe in Los Angeles, police said late Friday.
The California Highway Patrol earlier in the day issued an Amber Alert for the toddler and suspect, 30-year-old Jason Lam, who is now in police custody.
Lam has joint custody of the boy with the child's mother, but officials said Lam on Thursday did not return the boy to his mother, who then proceeded to receive new custodial status from the court, according to the San Francisco District Attorney's Office.
Security footage captured inside a Menlo Park store Thursday recorded Lam and the boy walking around. Several hours later, a ping from Lam's cell phone alerted police to his new location in Southern California, according to the CHP.
After the Amber Alert reached the southern portion of the state, a shopper recognized Lam's car and called police. He was later detained roughly six-hours after the Amber Alert was activated.
The Amber Alert was activated Friday after investigators uncovered troublesome information about Lam, according to Jerry Rodriguez from the San Francisco District Attorney's office.
The boy's mother and an investigator from the San Francisco District Attorney's Office will fly to Southern California to reunite with the boy.