$10,000 Reward Offered in Killing of Man in South LA

Investigators said Jason Kennedy may have been mistaken for a gang member

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The family of a man shot dead in South LA in 2013 hopes a $10,000 reward will help find whoever is responsible for the killing. Reggie Kumar reports from South Los Angeles for the NBC4 News at 6 on Saturday, March 22, 2014. (Published Saturday, Mar 22, 2014)

    A $10,000 reward is being offered to help find who shot and killed a 32-year-old man in South Los Angeles last year who investigators said may have been mistaken for a gang member.

    On July 31 about 8:30 p.m., Jason Lavelle Kennedy was in front of a laundromat at 108th Street and Western Avenue when two men jumped out of a car and began shooting, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department investigators said.

    Kennedy was fatally struck, and the men went back in their car and fled the scene, investigators said.

    On Saturday, sheriff's cadets went door-to-door in the neighborhood passing out fliers about the case after the approval of the reward by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.

    "This is an effort on the part of the community to work with law enforcement," said Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, whose district is where the fatal shooting took place. "If we have citizens come forward we can get this murder case solved."

    Kennedy's family hopes the reward will motivate anyone with information to come forward.

    "One day we are going to find out who has done this and they will be brought to justice," said Leonisha Anderson, Kennedy's cousin.
     

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts