Two suspects and an officer were wounded in a shootout after a traffic stop Friday night in San Bernardino, authorities said.
Eric Newson, 22, and Keijuan Mayfield, 22, were driving with two others when a patrol car stopped them for a traffic violation near Baseline Street in front of a liquor store.
The suspects immediately began shooting at the two police officers in the patrol car. The officers returned fire, striking both suspects in the legs, according to a press release issued by the San Bernardino Police Department. A police officer was also struck in the leg, the statement said.
The three who were wounded were taken to a hospital and treated for non-life threatening injuries.
The two others in the car fled on foot and have not been found.
More Southern California Stories:
- Body Found at Park ID'd as 21-Year-Old
- Funeral for Arizona Firefighter Kevin Woyjeck
- Deputy "Ambushed" in San Bernardino Shooting
- Mountain Fire Burns Near Idyllwild
- Ariz. Firefighter Remembered as "Proud Protector"
- 7 Injured, 1 Child Dead in Azusa Crash
- Arrests After Violence Mars LA Protest