Eleven Southern California Albertsons supermarket locations will close next month as part of what the company calls an evaluation of "underperforming" stores.
The chain will close the following Southern California locations by Feb. 20:
- Whittier: 13003 Whittier Blvd.
- Long Beach: 450 Long Beach Blvd.
- Huntington Beach: 9051 Atlantic Blvd.
- Canyon Country (Santa Clarita): 18571 Soledad Canyon Road
- Woodland Hills: 22890 Victory Blvd.
- Moorpark: 475 West Los Angeles Ave.
- Valencia: 26850 North The Old Road
- Monrovia: 725 E. Huntington Drive
- Ontario: 1000 N. Mountain Ave.
- Chula Vista: 2310 Proctor Valley Road
- San Diego: 4421 University Ave.
An Albertsons spokeswoman told KPCC that the closures are part of an ongoing evaluatiion of store performance.
"It's difficult to make that decision but overall, it gives the company the opportunity to reinvest in its existing store base and to build a stronger division," Albertsons Southern California Division spokeswoman Lilia Rodriguez told KPCC.
Some of the stores will conduct liquidation sales Wednesday. Signs that read "Inventory Liquidation Sale" and "Store Closing" were draped above the Albertsons entrance in Monrovia.
Albertsons plans to close 26 stores nationwide by Feb. 20.
A Ralphs location at 40545 California Oaks Road in Murrieta also is scheduled to close.