More than two dozen Albertsons stores are being shuttered nationwide and the majority of to-be closed locations are in Southern California, the grocery store's parent company announced Wednesday.
Supervalu Inc. will shutter 27 of its under-performing grocery stores nationwide, including 19 in Southern California.
"These decisions are never easy because of the impact a store closure has on our team members, our customers and our communities," Wayne Sales, president/CEO of Supervalu Inc, said in a statement. "Today's announcement reflects our commitment to move with a greater sense of urgency to reduce costs and improve shareholder value."
The closures – which include under-performing or "non-strategic" stores – are expected to generate $35 million within the first year and as much as $90 million over the next three years, the statement noted.
Most of the stores on the chopping block will close before Dec. 1, the end of the company’s fiscal 2013 quarter. Supervalu plans to close 60 of its stores nationwide, including 22 Save-A-Lot stores, four ACME stores and a Jewel-Osco location.
"I'm surprised and shocked," said Elmore Vignadice, a Glendale store shopper. "I've been going here for the last four years. Some people may be going to lose their jobs. This is horrible."
Here's a list of the Southern California stores expected to close:
- Mesmer & Jefferson, Culver City, CA (already closed)
- 7th & Redondo, Long Beach, CA
- Harbor & Garden Grove Blvd., Garden Grove, CA
- Harbor Blvd. & Imperial Hwy., Fullerton, CA
- Dale & La Palma, Buena Park, CA
- Brookhurst & Katella, Anaheim, CA
- Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, CA
- Central & Chevy Chase, Glendale, CA
- Devonshire & Reseda, Northridge, CA
- Van Nuys & Sherman, Van Nuys, CA
- Bear Valley & Amethyst Roads, Victorville, CA
- Pigeon Pass & Ironwood, Moreno Valley, CA
- Colima & Fairway Drive, Rowland Heights, CA
- Hamner Ave & Hidden Valley Pkw., Norco, CA
- Grove Ave & Walnut Street, Ontario, CA
- Limonite & Clay, Riverside, CA
- Colima Road, Hacienda Heights, CA
- Amar & Nogales, Walnut, CA
- Azusa & Cypress, Covina, CA