A 29-year-old man arrested in connection with the disappearance of a Northridge girl was charged Wednesday with kidnapping and burglary as the search continued for another man suspected of violence in the case.
Daniel Martinez, 29, of West Hills, was arrested earlier this week in connection with the 10-year-old girl's abduction. He was charged with one count each of kidnapping and burglary in the March 27 incident, which led to a massive search for the missing child.
The girl told police two men took her from the bedroom before dropping her off about 12 hours later in Woodland Hills -- about six miles from her home. The girl walked about one mile to a Starbucks at which someone recognized her from media reports. She was barefoot and had bruises and cuts on her face when she was found on the same day she was reported missing.
Martinez is considered a secondary suspect in the kidnapping. He pleaded not guilty during an arraignment hearing late Wednesday afternoon in San Fernando Superior Court.
Police continue the search for Tobias Dustin Summers in a case about which many questions remain. A criminal complaint filed against the pair on Wednesday accuses Summers of 35 counts of sexual assault in the kidnapping.
NBC4 does not identify victims of sexual assault, and after the victim was found, the Los Angeles Police Department asked news media to stop showing her image and reporting her name.
Like Martinez, Summers has also been charged with kidnapping a minor under age 14 and first-degree burglary with a person present.
Martinez was allegedly waiting in a getaway vehicle when Summers emerged from the house with the girl, according to the complaint.
Martinez, who allegedly drove the car a short distance before getting out, had his bail was set at $150,000. He faces up to 12 years in state prison, while Summers faces multiple life terms.
"Until the arrests are made, and until the indictments are signed in court, we won't have the full story," said Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck.
Martinez has been interviewed twice by police, his attorney revealed in court. Asked if his client is cooperating with authorities, public defender Rob Kayne replied, "I wouldn't say that."
Martinez's next court date is April 10.
Summers (pictured, right) has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 2002, including arrests for assault and battery and kidnapping.
He was released from prison in July 2012 under California's Assembly Bill 109, an initiative aimed at easing prison overcrowding and was on "post-supervised release," according to police.
Probation officials believe the 30-year-old is a transient known to frequent the North Hollywood and Devonshire areas.
Summers is about 6 feet tall, 160 pounds, with blue eyes and cropped blond hair. He is not a registered sex offender, and authorities said there is no indication at this time that the victim or her family knows the suspect.
An arrest warrant signed for Summers in court Wednesday sets his bail at $19 million.
Los Angeles police said it's possible Summers escaped into Mexico.
NBC4's Patrick Healy contributed to this report.