A Baldwin Park man has been charged with the murder of his 21-month-old son, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said Friday.
David Paz Vasquez, 32, appeared in court Friday to face one count of murder and another of assault on a child causing death. His arraignment in Pomona Superior Court was postponed to July 10, and he was being held on $1 million bail.
Vasquez’s son Joshua died of blunt force trauma, the county coroner said Thursday. The previous day, Vasquez had taken his son to a hospital, where he died.
In a news release Thursday afternoon, the sheriff's department said the county Department of Children and Family Services responded to a call at the house about a year ago.
"The then-infant boy sustained a leg injury that was investigated by the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services. That incident is also under investigation by Homicide detectives," the sheriff's department stated.
The DA’s office gave the suspect’s name as Vasquez, as does the county inmate locator website; the LA County Sheriff’s Department originally had given it as Vazquez
More Southern California Stories:
- Knife-Wielding Robber Theatens Subway Employee, Flees With Cash
- After Brutal Start, Wildfire Season Could Get Much Worse
- PHOTOS: Santa Monica Gunman's Arsenal Revealed
- Jet Slams Into Empty Offices at Chino Airport
- Photographer's Dashboard Camera Captures Alleged "Keyless" Car Thief
- Ex-Teacher Admits to Having Sex With Student
- Santa Monica Shooter Built Illegal Weapon After Gov't Denied Him Firearm