A woman crossing or standing in a street died Saturday morning after being hit by a marked Buena Park Police patrol car, the California Highway Patrol said.
The officer was driving a black and white K9 Unit vehicle when he fatally struck the woman at Orangethorpe and Stanton avenues in Buena Park about 1 a.m., officials said.
Video from the scene showed a purse in the street and a shirtless man being questioned by police.
Authorities said the handcuffed man is a friend of the victim. He yelled at officers, accusing them of murdering his friend.
The woman died at the scene.
Further information was not available late Saturday afternoon.
The California Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
NBC4's Reggie Kumar contributed to this report.
More Southern California Stories:
- Teen in Deadly Crash Was "Always Smiling"
- Cancer Patient Gets Wedding Wish at Hospital
- Dodgers Drop Game 2 Against Braves
- College: Transgender Prof Should Go "Elsewhere"
- Crews Knock Down Walnut Fire
- LAUSD Head Touts iPad Program, Despite Hacking
- Dream Wedding Quashed by Gov't Shutdown
- Hundreds Mourn Teen Killed in Fiery Crash