Days after a mother was struck and killed by a big rig while walking her 9-year-old daughter to school in Hollywood, a crossing guard directed pedestrians and traffic at the intersection after calls for safety improvements.
The crossing guard was on duty for the first time Friday at the intersection of Bronson and Fountain near Le Conte Middle School and Citizen's of the World Charter School, the school that the victim's daughter attends. The interim crossing guard will be in place through the end of the year, according to a statement by school director Amy Held.
LA Councilman Mitch O’Farrell made the promise to place a guard at the intersection at a school meeting on Thursday night.
"This community has suffered trauma. Someone lost their life last week. It's one measure that I can provide. And we’re going to do it starting tomorrow. It's just the right thing to do," O’Farrell said.
According to neighbors who spoke with NBC4, Friday is Barrera's daughter's 10th birthday.
O’Farrell said at Thursday’s meeting that he would tap into discretionary funds to place the guard at the intersection that one parent described as “very hectic.”
LAUSD had requested a crossing guard for this intersection more than a year ago, but the Department of Transportation said it did not have the funds to do so.
Parents have been pleading for increased safety measures since Barrera’s death.
"Why can't we get flashing lights here? I see it at other schools. You push a button, the lights flash. They said, ‘No, the city's not gonna pay for that,’" parent Ira Belgrade said last week.