A dockworker died Monday afternoon at the Port of Los Angeles after a utility tractor rig fell into the water, authorities said.
The incident occurred shortly after 3 p.m. Los Angeles Fire Department rescue divers tried to save the dockworker from the 60-foot-deep, murky water near Berth 227.
"Man sadly proved beyond help and has been declared dead," Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey wrote in a statement.
Humphrey described the utility tractor rig as a semi-enclosed cab used to pull cargo trailers around the freight terminal. The rig and the cargo went into the water.
Several agencies were investigating the crash.
More Southern California Stories:
- 3 SoCal Firefighters Killed in Arizona Wildfire
- LA Makes Snobbiest Cities List
- WeHo Conducts Free Same-Sex Marriage Ceremonies
- Chaos Ensues When Animals Interrupt Sports Events
- Caught on Video: Rider Berates Senior Citizen on Bus