A Mission Viejo doctor who admitted to illegally prescribing painkillers to people he barely examined was sentenced to more than 11 years in federal prison Thursday.
Alvin Mingczech Yee, 44, met his “patients” in Starbucks stores across Orange County to write prescriptions for drugs like oxycodone and alprazolam, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said in a news release.
Those drugs are best known by brand names such as OxyContin, Vicodin and Xanax.
Yee pleaded guilty to seven counts of illegal distribution of a controlled substance by a practitioner after three undercover agents posing as patients caught him in the act, according to court documents.
A judge sentenced Yee to 135 months in prison.
More Southern California Stories:
- Not Guilty Plea in Girl's Slaying
- Public Safety Instructor Accused of Sexual Assault
- Fire at West LA Apartment Complex
- West LA High-Rise Apartment Fire
- Woman Asks Cops to Hire Hit Man
- Selfie with Teacher Goes Viral
- Dodgers Confident for NLCS Game 6
- Female Model Become Male Model