Detectives have identified but not arrested a hit-and-run driver accused of fatally striking an 18-year-old in South Los Angeles last week, authorities said Saturday.
The suspected driver, whose name hasn’t been released, was speeding at the time when he or she fatally struck Markeise Parish on July 22 in a Mercedes Benz as the teen crossed Crenshaw Boulevard at 78th Place, police said.
The car was found abandoned not far from the crash scene.
A fundraiser for Parish, a popular member of the community whom family members described as a rising sports star, was held Saturday to help pay for the costs of his funeral expenses.
Friends and family gathered at Inglewood High School, where Parish would have been a senior, to hold the car wash fundraiser.
“He had a way of touching your heart," said Lawana McClelland, Parish’s mother. "He was full of joy.”
More Southern California Stories:
- Body Found at Park ID'd as 21-Year-Old
- Funeral for Arizona Firefighter Kevin Woyjeck
- Deputy "Ambushed" in San Bernardino Shooting
- Mountain Fire Burns Near Idyllwild
- Ariz. Firefighter Remembered as "Proud Protector"
- 7 Injured, 1 Child Dead in Azusa Crash
- Arrests After Violence Mars LA Protest