Residents in East Los Angeles were ordered out of their homes for hours because of a gas leak Monday afternoon, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The mandatory evacuation applied to all residents and businesses on South Gerhart Avenue between Via Campo and Beverly Boulevard, said Thomas Smith, with the sheriff department's East Los Angeles Station.
County fire officials announced the evacuation order was lifted about 8:30 p.m.
Residents on adjacent streets are not being ordered to leave at this time, Smith said.
Evacuees can go to Garfield High School located at 5101 E. Sixth Street, Los Angeles.
A work crew punctured a gas line in the 300 block of South Gerhart Avenue (map). It was not immediately known when the evacuations would be lifted.
Refresh this page for updates.
More Southern California Stories:
- Rescued Bear Is Tetherball Master
- Diana Nyad in Person
- Madonna Banned From Movie Theater
- Brush Fire Burns in Culver City
- Tilting Oil Derrick Threatens Homes
- 5-Year-Old Pedestrian Killed
- Yum: National Dessert Day
- Man Shot While Sitting on Bench