Showers and thunderstorms are possible Monday afternoon for Inland Empire communities, bringing the potential for flash floods and debris flows in mountain areas recently scorched by brush fires.
Download Our Free Weather App
A flash flood watch -- which officials issue to warn residents of the potential for danger -- was in effect through Monday night for the foothills and valleys of Riverside and San Bernardino counties and the Santa Ana Mountains, the National Weather Service said.
The region is seeing an influx of moisture from the remnants of Tropical Depression Ivo.
Heavy rain on the Falls burn area in Lake Elsinore could result in dangerous flash flooding, weather forecasters said.
Officials recommend that residents have a plan to shelter in place or move to higher ground when warnings are issued.
Heavy rainfall could cause flooding where 15 brush fires have charred 140 square miles of land from the LA area to San Diego since last year during a record fire season.
Areas in the flood warning watch include:
- Riverside County mountains;
- Coachella Valley;
- San Diego County mountains and deserts;
- San Bernardino County mountains;
- and Apple and Lucerne valleys.
The Mexican government has lifted all watches and warnings after Ivo weakened to a tropical depression in the eastern Pacific. Tropical-force winds are still possible, however, over portions of the Baja California.
The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Sunday that Ivo was centered about 165 miles west of Cabo San Lazaro, on the Baja California peninsula.
The Hurricane Center said Ivo was also still creating surf swells on the peninsula and would bring possible heavy rain and flash flooding into the Southwestern United States.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
More Southern California Stories:
- Armed Man on Tractor Killed By Police is ID'd
- Carjacking Suspect Dies After Struggle with Deputies
- Police Seek Suspect in Fatal Hit-and-Run
- SoCal Teacher Dies in Hiking Accident
- Colo. Company Tests Spacecraft in Calif. Desert
- LA Helps Fight Fire Near Yosemite
- Truck Crashes Into McDonald's Drive-Thru
- Man Arrested in Dog's Backseat Death