Ongoing coverage of Bryan Stow attack and the lawsuit filed by the family

Feds: Suspects in Bryan Stow Beating at Dodger Stadium Broke Weapons Laws

The U.S. Attorney's Office has filed a federal weapons complaint against Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, who are accused of beating Giants fan Brian Stow at Dodger Stadium last year.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Brian Stow with his children.

    Federal prosecutors said Tuesday they had filed criminal weapons charges against two men suspected in last year’s savage beating of a San Francisco Giants fan at Dodger Stadium Stow.

    Document: Federal: Affidavit Supporting Weapons Charges (Warning: Graphic Language)

    The complaint against Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood alleges violations of federal weapons laws, said Thom Mrozek, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California.

    The two men kept five weapons and more than 50 rounds of ammunition at Norwood's home in Rialto, prosecutors said in an affidavit obtained by NBC4.

    The weapons, found during a search of the residence last summer, included a Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle, a Marlin semi-automatic rifle, a Mossberg semi-automatic shotgun , a Llama semi-automatic pistol and a Smith & Wesson revolver.

    Special Agent Steven A. Goerke, who wrote the affidavit for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said Norwood told police that the weapons were not his.

    But investigators recorded expletive-laden conversations with Sanchez in the jail's holding facility that indicated that both men knew about the guns, the affidavit said.

    ""You know they got the guns, right?" Norwood said on the tape.

    Later, Sanchez says, "You sure they got the heats?"

    "Yeah," Norwood replies.

    "F---, Marv, I am  sorry, man," Sanchez says.

    "S--- happens," Norwood responds.

    If convicted on the weapons charges, each  man would face ten years in prison, according to Mrozek. 

    Sanchez and Norwood have already been charged in state court with mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury. Both have pleaded not guilty.

    On Tuesday, Superior Court Judge George Lomelli said a date of May 30 for a preliminary hearing in that case.  

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts