Freezing Temperatures Prompt Warning From Firefighters | NBC Southern California

Freezing Temperatures Prompt Warning From Firefighters

Residents should check their space heaters, furnaces and fireplaces



    (Published Monday, Nov. 12, 2012)

    Even though residents in the Antelope Valley are used to wild weather fluctuations, the LA County Fire Department is still warning everyone to be extra careful as they contemplate ways to stay warm.

    With freezing temperatures expected early Tuesday morning, the fire department wants people to consider the safety of their indoor heating options.

    For instance, never use smoke-producing open flame sources, such as hibachi grills, indoors.

    When it comes to other options, like space heaters, make sure they're in good working condition and do not produce carbon monoxide, which can be fatal and go unnoticed, even while sleeping.

    "A lot of people use space heaters," said Inspector Brian Riley, with the LA County Fire Department. "We recommend that if you do, you keep them at least three feet away from any type of combustible materials, which is almost anything, but specifically bedding, drapes and clothing."

    The fire department recommends people check their furnaces and fireplaces, as well.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts