A mother and her boyfriend accused in the death of the woman's 8-year-old son are expected to return to court next month for arraignment.
Pearl Sinthia Fernandez, 29, and Isauro Aguirre, 32, are each charged with one count of captial murder after the fatal beating. Arraignment, scheduled for Monday, was continued to Nov. 19.
Both suspects were in court Monday, marking the fourth time arraignment has been postponed.
The couple was arrested after paramedics responded May 22 to their Palmdale home and found 8-year-old Gabriel Fernandez suffering from severe injuries. The boy died at the hospital two days later.
Gabriel had a fractured skull, three broken ribs, two teeth knocked out, burns to his skin and BB pellets embedded in his lung, according to documents from the Department of Child and Family Services.
Child protective case workers responded to the home at least eight times after repeated abuse reports, according to several people who knew the child and from department documents obtained by NBC4. Their visit before his death was for an allegation of sexual abuse, documents said.
More Southern California Stories:
- Amber Alert Website Offline Due to Gov't Shutdown
- Lockers Burglarized During College Football Game
- Pit Bull Shot After Biting Child
- UCLA Sex Assault Suspect Surrenders
- Deputy Shoots, Wounds Suspect
- "Apologetic Bandit" Strikes in Mission Viejo
- Firefighters Battle Mulch Pile Blaze in Orange County
- Vote Could Force Owners to Sterilize Pit Bulls