Coroner's officials on Sunday identified a man who killed himself after a five-hour standoff at a Crescenta Valley strip mall as Shawn David Weissenborn, 33, of Santa Clarita.
The drama began during the Black Friday shopping frenzy about 4 p.m. when an armed man barricaded himself inside a Connect Wireless store.
He had earlier held up a Rite Aid pharmacist at gunpoint and demanded a prescription, authorities said.
The incident prompted the shutdown of surrounding streets and the evacuation of businesses.
Shoppers were seen running from a Rite Aid and Ralphs. A SWAT team was called in with an armored vehicle.
Initial reports that he had taken two hostages proved to be incorrect.
Police discovered that he had killed himself when they went into the store at 9:40 p.m., said Sgt. Diane Hecht of the Sheriff's Headquarters Bureau.
More Southern California Stories:
- Man Shot at Party Near USC
- Walker Fans Shocked by His Death
- Small Business Saturday Attracts Mellow Crowds
- Security Keeps Close Eye on USC, UCLA Fans
- PM Forecast: Warm Temperatures Going Into Next Week
- Paul Walker Dies in Crash
- Teen Girl Among Dead in Fwy Crash
- Man Dies Trying to Save 2 in Ocean