A 22-year-old man had been hallucinating and making comments about zombies in the hours before a homeowner shot him when the intruder shattered a sliding-glass door, deputies said on Monday.
Deputies found the body of Paul Michael Bracamontes, 22, of Fullerton, at a home in the 5100 block of Wendover Road in Yorba Linda at 3:15 a.m. Sunday, said Orange County Sheriff’s Lt. Jeff Hallock in a press release.
The homeowner shot and killed him after he and his wife were awakened to the sound of Bracamontes yelling and screaming in the backyard, officials said.
The male homeowner shot Bracamontes when Bracamontes broke through a sliding-glass door, deputies said.
The family told detectives they didn’t know Bracamontes and had never seen him before, Hallock said. The homeowner was questioned and released after authorities determined that the shooting was in self defense.
Bracamontes’ family members told authorities that he had attended a party early Saturday night, that he had been hallucinating and was heard making several inappropriate comments regarding zombies, Hallock said. He also indicated he wanted a gun.
His relatives told deputies they had not seen or heard from him since the party.
More Southern California Stories:
- Human Remains Found in Industry
- Arrests Made in "Craigslist Murder"
- O.J. Simpson Up for College Football Honor
- Hammer & Nails: A Nail Shop for Men
- Teens in Starr's 1964 Photo Found
- 710 Freeway Reopens After Tanker Crash, Fire
- High Winds Uproot Giant Tree
- Man Killed in Deputy Shooting
- Lou Reed’s Underground Charm
- Garcetti to Pitch LA Rail Project
- Temperatures Drop Monday