John Cadiz Klemack
On Tuesday afternoon, police received a phone call alerting them of a bomb threat at Los Angeles International Airport. The LAPD, SWAT Team and FBI searched the airport for hours but did not find anything unusual. The search was called off shortly after 4 p.m. John Cadiz Klemack reports from Los Angeles International Airport for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on August 14, 2012.
Airport police and the FBI have halted a bomb search after they looked in all terminals following a phoned-in threat at Los Angeles International Airport.
While they investigated, traffic was diverted from lower-level arrivals in three terminals at LAX. That caused a major backup in rush-hour traffic, though lanes were reopened at about 3:40 p.m.
Travelers had been advised to plan ahead and expect delays.
LAX police spokeswoman Sgt. Belinda Nettles said in a statement that the agency responded to the threat at 2:05 p.m.
The Los Angeles Police Department's bomb squad and the Los Angeles Fire Department were on scene, Nettles said at 3:20 p.m. A command post had been set up, as shown at right.
A caller had said a bomb had been placed in an elevator of a parking garage next to Terminal 1 or 2, Nettles said.
All terminals were searched and nothing was found. The search concluded at 4:16 p.m., but authorities were continuing to attempt to figure out who the caller is.
Flight operations were continuing, Nettles said.