Police on Thursday were investigating the death of a man who was fatally shot during a fight just outside of the Ventura County Fairgrounds Wednesday night, the first day of the county fair, police said.
The victim and two other men were walking near the bike path along the Ventura River just west of the fairgrounds when they got into a fight, during which the victim was shot dead, according to a release by the Ventura Police Department.
Ventura police responded to a call about a man with gunshot wounds about 10:22 p.m. while the fair was still open, and they pronounced him dead at the scene upon arrival, the release stated.
The fair ends admission at 10 p.m. but does not close until 11 p.m.
The two men fled the scene and were last seen running northbound along the river toward West Main Street, and police were searching for the men early Thursday, police said.
The first man is described as a Hispanic male in his late teens, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and jeans. The second man is described as a Hispanic male also in his late teens, wearing a white t-shirt with white and black checkered shorts.
Police were investigating the shooting and whether it was gang-related.
Anyone with information should call 805-339-4467.
Further details were not immediately available.
More Southern California Stories:
- $200K Mercedes Found After Stolen From Valet
- Chase Through Valley Reaches 100 mph
- How to Ask Dr. Bruce a Health Question
- Inmates Can Pay for Luxury Cells in OC
- Penguin Chicks Are Aquarium's Webcam Star
- Human Remains Found on Montebello Bike Path
- Church Usher Charged With Child Sex Abuse
- Theft Prevention: How to Lock Your Bike