A man was wounded in a vehicle-to-vehicle shooting on the Santa Monica Freeway in the Mid-City area of Los Angeles on Monday. Antonio Castelan reports from the scene for "Today in LA" on Monday, Aug. 20, 2012.
Police on Monday were searching for someone who shot and wounded an 18-year-old man early Monday as he was riding in a car on the Santa Monica Freeway, officials said.
The incident happened on the Santa Monica Freeway at La Brea Avenue in the Mid-City area of Los Angeles at 3:15 a.m., police said.
The shooting prompted the closure of a section of the freeway for hours while police investigated.
Someone in a gray sport utility vehicle drove alongside the man who was riding in a red Mustang and fired at least two shots.
LAPD Officer Norma Eisenman said the victims drove off the freeway and called 911.
The driver and another passenger were not hurt, Eisenman said.
Police shut down the eastbound freeway from La Cienega Boulevard to La Brea Avenue to look for evidence, including shell casings, prompting the California Highway Patrol to issue a SigAlert. The alert was lifted after 5 a.m.
Police said they had few clues. The occupants of the Mustang told poliec they had been to a nightclub earlier and made a stop to get gas before the shooting, but they had no problems with anyone.
"At this point, we don't know what the motivation for the shooting is," said LAPD Sgt. Mike Richardson.
An accident occurred in the aftermath of the shooting.
Two officers had gotten out of their squad car at La Cienega to help shut down the freeway when a car crashed into the cruiser, Eisenman said.
The officers were not hurt. The driver was taken into custody and undergoing testing for possible DUI, police said.