McCourt Offered $1.2 Billion for Dodgers: Report

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 30: Frank McCourt leaves Los Angeles County Superior Court after day one of a non-jury divorce trial on August 30, 2010 in Los Angeles, California.

    Could it be an offer Frank McCourt can't refuse?

    The financially troubled Dodgers owner has reportedly been offered $1.2 billion dollars to sell the franchise.

    The deal, headed by Los Angeles Marathon founder Bill Burke with additional funds from Chinese investors, would be an all-cash payment for the franchise and includes all real estate and media rights, the Los Angeles Times reported.

    The proposed sale price would set a record for a Major League Baseball team.

    Neither Burke or a spokesman for McCourt would comment on the offer.

    McCourt has said previously he has no intention of selling the team but has discussed a partial sale with at least two other groups, according to the Times.

    Earlier this month, creditors in the Dodgers bankruptcy met in Delaware to discuss the team's financial situation.

    The team filed for bankruptcy protection on June 27 after Major League Baseball refused to approve a multibillion-dollar TV deal with Fox Sports. McCourt was counting on the deal on to keep the troubled franchise afloat and meet payroll deadlines.

    Court records said attendance this season at Dodger Stadium is down, projected to be 2.2 million to 2.3 million.

    That was compared to 1982, when the count was 3.6 million.