Mementos, Flowers Stolen From Dead OC Teen's Memorial

Luis Adrian Torres, 19, died in a car crash in Costa Mesa

By Brandon Lowrey
|  Tuesday, Jun 25, 2013  |  Updated 9:54 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
The family of a Costa Mesa teen killed in a car accident is distraught that a memorial to him has gone missing. A number of personal mementos marked the spot, and now all that stands is a single potted plant. Mother Monica Soto pleaded to whoever took the items, to return them, no questions asked. Vikki Vargas reports from Costa Mesa for the NBC4 News at 4:30 p.m. on June 24, 2013.

The family of a Costa Mesa teen killed in a car accident is distraught that a memorial to him has gone missing. A number of personal mementos marked the spot, and now all that stands is a single potted plant. Mother Monica Soto pleaded to whoever took the items, to return them, no questions asked. Vikki Vargas reports from Costa Mesa for the NBC4 News at 4:30 p.m. on June 24, 2013.

Photos and Videos

Costa Mesa Family Forced to Move Teen's Memorial

The family of Adrian Torres moved his make-shift memorial to a garage following complaints from the property where he died Sunday night in a car crash. The grieving family is now trying to raise money to help pay for the funeral. Vikki Vargas reports from Costa Mesa for the NBC4 News at 6 p.m. on June 21, 2013.
More Photos and Videos

Someone stole flowers, a Bible and more from a roadside memorial shrine to an Orange County teenager who died in a car crash, the teen's relatives said Monday.

Friends and family members set up the shrine near a Costa Mesa intersection where Luis Adrian Torres, 19, crashed his car and later died June 16.

The theft occurred sometime Sunday, shortly after the shrine was set up, said the teen's mother, Monica Soto. In addition to flowers, photos and candles, several of Torres' personal mementos left at the shrine also disappeared.

"I lost my son," she said, crying. "Those are his things. Just return them, no questions asked."

Torres was scheduled to be buried on Tuesday.

The shrine had previously been under fire by some local residents, who wanted it removed from the sidewalk. Torres' family had to take down the shrine last week, but then received permission on Saturday to put it back up.

Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Running Dry
Coverage of the California drought. Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out