A teenager was struck and killed by a Metrolink train in Riverside Thursday evening while riding his bicycle, police said.
The 15-year-old boy was riding on Madison Street near the Indiana Avenue crossing about 6 p.m. when he stopped to let an eastbound train pass him, according to a statement by the Riverside Police Department.
While the safety arms that indicated the track was not yet clear, the teen resumed riding his bicycle and was struck by a westbound train on the opposite side of the tracks, police said.
The boy, identified as 15-year-old Serafin Gonzalez, died at the scene.
About 77 people were on board the train when it struck the teen, police said.
Investigation: Rail Crossings
More Southern California Stories:
- Lawsuit Filed After Man Is Killed by Undercover Officer
- Monster Bash: Son of Monsterpalooza
- Beautiful Weekend Ahead
- Girl Helps Nab Alleged Bus Groper
- After Fake Surrender, Chase Ends at USC
- Ex-Teacher Arrested for Alleged Molestation
- Last of Pre-Shutdown Pay Arriving for Fed Workers
- For-Profit Colleges Targeted in CA Lawsuit