Remains found by workers in Montebello and thought to be human were identified Thursday as a scattering of animal bones and a plastic prop skull, authorities said.
The animal bones are possibly the spine and rib of a deer and a few dead chickens, Lt. Fred Corral, of the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office, said.
Corral said the bones were "typical of Santeria," a religion of West African and Carribean origin.
The bones were discovered by pipeline maintenance workers in the 900 block of North Lincoln Avenue Tuesday afternoon.
More Southern California Stories:
- Fritz's Holiday Lights 2013
- LAUSD Board Member Dies
- Woman Sentenced in Fatal Crash
- Couple Injured in Home Robbery
- LA County Social Workers to Strike
- Frosty Temperatures in SoCal
- Mourners Remember Slain 7-Year-Old
- UC Student Loses Feet to Meningitis