Family and friends said goodbye on Saturday to a day care teacher stabbed to death in front of her students in Long Beach.
Kellye Taylor, 53, a day care teacher at Huntington Academy, mother and grandmother who took care of her daughter’s children, was remembered during a service at New Hope Baptist Church.
“I’ll remember her loving ways and how she loved those kids and took care of them,” said Carrie Bryant, her mother.
“She did everything she could to protect those kids, and she loves children,” said June Collier, a friend.
Taylor was stabbed in the neck from behind in front of her students Oct. 11 at Orizaba Park in Long Beach, police said.
Steven Dwayne Brown, the boyfriend of Taylor’s daughter, was arrested and charged with capital murder in connection with the slaying that authorities believe stemmed from a custody dispute.
More Southern California Stories:
- In Memoriam: Actress Marcia Wallace
- Residents Don't Want Rapist in Town
- AM Forecast: Nice Day
- Lakers Strong in Win, Cut Roster
- Autopsy Set for Infant Girl
- Kraft Issues String Cheese Recall
- New Ordinance Aims to Keep Film in LA
- LA County Confirms 1st Flu Death