Gina Ferazzi-Pool/Getty Images
LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 29: Construction crews demolish the north side of the Mulholland Bridge over the closed 405 freeway during Carmageddon on September 29, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. The 405 Freeway is completely shut down for a 10 mile stretch this weekend for the demolition that is part of a larger $1-billion freeway improvement project. (Photo by Gina Ferazzi-Pool/Getty Images)
A groom and his groomsman were among seven people arrested Sunday morning for trying to sneak on to the closed portion of I-405 during the massive demolition project dubbed Carmageddon II.
The two entered the freeway at the Sunset Boulevard onramp in West Los Angeles, and were immediately detained by the California Highway Patrol, a spokesman for law enforcement agencies monitoring the project told NBC4 Sunday morning.
The CHP had earlier reported that it was a bride and groom who entered the closed freeway, but later clarified who the two were.
They received citations for trespassing, police said.
A group of rollerbladers also tried unsuccessfully to climb on to the freeway, police said.
The 405 Freeway has been closed since Friday night for demolition of the Mulholland Bridge, as part of a $1 billion renovation project.
Police said the work was continuing on schedule. On Sunday, workers completed demolition of a pillar on the eastern side of the old bridge, and were set to begin tearing down the western side.
The work, which caused one of the busiest stretches of freeway in the U.S. to be shut down for 53 hours, has been nicknamed Carmageddon II because this is the second time officials have closed the span for work on the expansion project.