Ohio Kidnapping Victims Speak Out

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight give thanks to supporters. The three women were rescued earlier this year after they were held for about a decade and subjected to rape and abuse, authorities said.

    Three Ohio women who were kidnapped and held captive for about a decade, allegedly subjected to torture and sexual abuse, on Monday released a video saying they were resolved to be strong and move forward.

    "Everyone who has been there to support us has been a blessing," Amanda Berry said in a video posted to YouTube by a public relations company. "I am getting stronger each day. Having my privacy has helped immensely."

    "Thank you for the support," said Gina DeJesus.

    "I just want everyone to know I'm doing just fine," said Michelle Knight. "I may have been through hell and back but I am strong enough to walk through hell with a smile on my face and with my head held high and my feet firmly on the ground."

    "I will not let the situation define who I am," she said. "I will define the situation."

    The man who allegedly kidnapped and held the women, Arial Castro, 52, pleaded not guilty to a 329-count indictment in the case that includes kidnapping and rape charges, according to NBC News.

    Castro is accused of kidnapping the women between 2002 and 2004 when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old.

    More Southern California Stories:

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts