Homes Destroyed, Dozens Displaced After Oxnard Fire

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Some 50 firefighters battled a three-alarm blaze Friday that jumped from home to home, destroying structures. Strong winds fanned the flames. Jane Yamamoto reports for the NBC4 News at 11 p.m. on Oct. 4, 2013. (Published Saturday, Oct 5, 2013)

    Nearly a dozen families are displaced Friday night after a house fire in Oxnard spread to a mobile home park amid hot, windy conditions earlier in the day.

    The three-alarm blaze broke out about 3:30 p.m. in the 1200 block of Oxnard Boulevard, according to the Oxnard Fire Department.

    Investigators believe the fire began in a home and strong winds pushed the flames, causing them to leap into an adjacent mobile home park.

    "The wind was blowing so bad, it went up quick," resident Arthur Allen said.

    Allen and his wife were giving their 2-year-old daughter a bath when someone began yelling, "Fire!" They grabbed their toddler -- still dripping water -- and ran.

    "By the time we got outside, everything was engulfed in flames," Allen said.

    Within an hour of the firefight, crews had extinguished the main body of the fire and were working to stamp out the flames that spread other homes.

    In all, up to a dozen homes were partially damaged or completely destroyed, fire officials said.

    No injuries were reported, but one resident said she lost everything that wasn't on her back.

    "I have only what I am wearing. It's sad," said Anna Verra, who lived with her family in their unit since 2005.

    More Southern California Stories:

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts