The unwavering determination of protesters trying to drive the so-called “Pillowcase Rapist” out of Lake Los Angeles appears to be growing stronger since the 63-year-old arrived earlier this week.
Christopher Hubbart, who admitted to raping 40 women between 1971 and 1982, was released Wednesday into the area about 70 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles.
Since then, people have been shouting, sounding off bullhorns and honking outside where Hubbart is living.
"Come on Christopher, come out!" one resident yelled.
"I think people didn't expect that we'd keep up this fight," resident Sharon Duvernay said. "We're not going to stop."
A security guard for Hubbart said the reaction has been upsetting to the now 63-year-old man.
"His disconcerted," guard John Perry said. "As you see it's a very passionate welcoming committee, and it would be upsetting to anyone I think."
But that isn’t stopping protesters like Misty Vivirito, herself a sexual assault victim. Vivirito moved to the area in March and lives right down the road from Hubbart.
"I have four beautiful little girls, and me being a rape victim myself, and I am not going to put up with trash being here," Vivirito said.
Hubbart is being monitored around-the-clock, and twice a week he will be taken to therapy sessions.
"I'm just tired of the state using the Antelope Valley as a dumping ground for all their sex offenders," protester Albert Constante said.