Three in Custody After Overnight Standoff at San Bernardino Home

A report of shots fired led to an overnight standoff that shut down a neighborhood

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    San Bernardino Police have summoned their SWAT team after three armed men have barricaded themselves inside a home on Tuesday, March 4, 2014.

    An overnight standoff involving SWAT officers and three friends whose family members said they were drinking as they planned a trip to the gun range ended early Tuesday at a San Bernardino home when the men were taken into custody.

    Shortly after midnight, police received a report about shots fired in the 100 block of east 9th Street. About eight to 10 rounds were fired when officers arrived, then more rounds were fired when officers moved to another location.

    “It was pretty chaotic, initially,” said Lt. Rich Lawhead.

    Police told NBC4 that they had telephone contact with the subjects. SWAT officers with armored vehicles remained at the location until about 6:30 a.m. when three men were arrested.

    Two women in the house came outside and cooperated with police, Lawhead said.

    SWAT officers fired several rounds of tear gas into the home and shortly after 6 a.m. The men came out the back door of the residence and surrendered

    A woman who claims to be the fiancée of one of the three barricaded men told NBC4’s Jacob Rascon that her fiancé and his friends had been planning to go to the shooting range Tuesday and that he and his friends got drunk, and were not thinking correctly when they were shooting the shotgun.

    Several blocks around the neighborhood were shut down during the standoff.
     

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts