The autopsy of the TSA officer shot to death during the LAX shooting rampage concluded Saturday and cited multiple gunshot wounds as his cause of death, authorities said.
Gerardo Hernandez, 39, of Porter Ranch, died at 11 a.m. Nov. 1 at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, less than two hours after a lone gunman opened fire in the airport, Lieutenant Cheryl MacWillie of the LA County Department of Coroner told NBC4.
Hernandez, originally from El Salvador, was a week away from his 40th birthday, said his wife, Ana.
"I am truly devastated," she said. "We are all heartbroken. We will miss him dearly."
Hernandez, the first TSA officer killed in the line of duty, is survived by his wife and two children.
The 23-year-old man suspected of killing Hernandez and shooting four others remains unconcious in the hospital with four gunshot wounds, according to authorities. The suspected gunman, Paul Anthony Ciancia will be charged with murder of a federal officer in connection with the LAX shooting.
More Southern California Stories:
- Murder Charge for LAX Gunman
- Crash Kills 2 Women, Injures 3
- Honda Recalls 344,000 Odyssey Vans
- Crash Kills Driver, Hurts Passenger
- Officials Call for Security Changes at LAX
- AM Forecast: Low Clouds, Fog Hover Over SoCal
- Obama Attends McAuliffe Rally
- "We Are Hurting:" TSA Agent's Wife