The man accused of gunning down a father of four on the 91 Freeway in Anaheim last month pleaded not guilty to murder charges on Wednesday, officials said.
David Arzate Cabrera, 45, of Anaheim, allegedly opened fire July 14 on the westbound 91 Freeway near the 57 Freeway, according to the Anaheim Police Department.
A passenger in the front seat of a Ford F-150 pickup truck, identified 32-year-old Agustin Villegas, was shot in the head and died at the scene, police said.
"He always helped people, he was never a bad guy," neighbor Esmeralda Morales said of the father of four. "He had a great heart to help others out."
Villegas' 42-year-old cousin, who was driving the pickup truck, was hurt but expected to survive.
Two other passengers in the back seat of the truck, 13-year-old and 15-year-old sons of Villegas and his cousin, were not hurt, officers said.
Cabrera was being held without bail. His pretrial hearing was expected Sept. 26, court officials said.