The zip line over Venice Beach is now open, despite two years of controversy from neighbors and the coastal commission. So far, the zip line has been a success, and the response positive. Mekahlo Medina reports from Venice for the NBC4 News at 5 p.m. on July 24, 2013.
After months of planning and vocal opposition from residents near the new beach-side attraction, Venice’s long-awaited zip line is now open.
The zip line has been in the works for more than a year, said Victor Jauregui, director of Venice Beach Recreation Center. It was first proposed in spring 2012.
Since then, residents and businesses have voiced their opposition to the attraction, saying screams that inevitably accompany a zoom down the zip line could disrupt their community.
Riders have until Sept. 30 to take a trip down the zip line, at which time city officials will hold another round of community meetings to determine if the attraction will return next summer.
Jauregui said if it does come back, the zip line likely will be seasonal – running for three to six months during the warmest part of the year.
Trips down the zip line started Tuesday and run daily from 11 a.m. to sunset, according to LA-based Flightlinez, which operates the attraction.
Three 700-foot lines run along Ocean Front Walk. Riders take off from a 44-foot high platform and land at a 24-foot high platform.
Each ride costs $20. Locals with a valid California ID or public transit pass get $2 off the regular ticket price. Second rides are $5 for everyone.
Venice will receive 30 percent of all the zip line’s sales. That money will go toward restroom cleaning and trash pickup at the beach, Jauregui said.
Photo credit below: Flightlinez Venice Beach