After the discovery of pyrotechnics in a Westminster garage prompted evacuations Tuesday evening, residents are being allowed back in their homes with the order to stay inside, police said.
Updated Article: Homemade Fireworks Behind Garage Blast
Neighbors reported hearing an explosion and seeing flames about 4 p.m. in the 15300 block of Vermont Street, said Cpl. Eddie Esqueda, with Westminster Police Department.
A man, possibly in his late 40s, suffered second- and third-degree burns to his face and hands from the small fire, which was extinguished shortly thereafter, Esqueda said. The victim was found unconscious and taken to the hospital.
The bomb squad was called to the scene.
Residents in the neighborhood were evacuated for nearly two hours Tuesday. By 9:30 p.m., they were given permission to go home but authorities said they must remain inside.
Esqueda said Westminster police are in the process of obtaining a search warrant for the rest of the home.