A gas main break in Commerce prompted evacuations of homes and apartments Tuesday afternoon, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
A resident reported the smell of gas just after 2:40 p.m. in the 1400 block of South Sydney Drive. Officials stopped the leak by about 5:30 p.m.
A man doing construction work at his home ruptured the gas main as he was digging, said LA County Fire Battalion Chief Mike Brown.
About 20 residents from five homes and an apartment complex had to leave their homes as authorities sealed the area.
The city of Commerce provided short-term shelter for those evacuated at the Bristow Park Community Center at 1466 S. McDonnell Ave.
More Southern California Stories:
- Not Guilty Plea in Clerk's Killing
- TSA Officer Remembered
- The Treadmill Marathon
- Lakers Starting Jordan Hill
- Pleas in "Craigslist Murder"
- LAX Suspect's Condition Upgraded
- Timberlake Named GQ Man of the Year
- "Godfather" Rehearsal Prop Auction