Parolees Accused in OC Rapes, Slayings Plead Not Guilty

The men wore tracking devices and checked in with police every 30 days when the alleged crimes were committed last year

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Two parolees accused of raping and killing four women in Anaheim and Santa Ana while wearing GPS bracelets pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges in court. Vikki Vargas reports for the NBC4 News at Noon Monday, May 19, 2014. (Published Monday, May 19, 2014)

    Two parolees accused of raping and killing at least four women in Orange County while wearing GPS ankle bracelets pleaded not guilty to charges on Monday.

    Franc Cano and Steven Dean Gordon were each charged with four felony counts of special circumstances murder and four felony counts of rape, according to the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

    The two men, both registered sex offenders, are accused of committing the crimes in October and November 2013 in Anaheim and Santa Ana while wearing tracking devices, Anaheim police said in April. They also checked in with police every 30 days.

    The case broke when a woman's body was discovered on a conveyor belt at an Anaheim recycling plant on March 14. She was later identified as 21-year-old Jarrae Nykkole Estepp of Oklahoma.

    The three other women had been reported missing from Santa Ana. They were identified as 20-year-old Kianna Jackson of Las Vegas, and Santa Ana residents Josephine Vargas, 34, and Martha Anaya, 28.

    Anaheim police believe there may be a fifth victim.

    The women’s cases were tied together based on their lifestyle, location and pattern of behavior, including drug use and prostitution in Anaheim and Santa Ana, police said.

    Cano and Gordon are due back in court June 6.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts