A wildfire that burned more than 30,000 acres and destroyed dozens of structures in Southern California last spring was caused by electrical power lines, the US Forest Service said Monday.
The announcement comes after a year-long investigation into the blaze, which erupted May, 30, 2013, in the San Francisquito Canyon area of Santa Clarita near LADWP's Powerhouse 1, the oldest hydroelectric plant in LA.
- Document: Lawsuit Against LADWP in Powerhouse Fire
More than 100 residents have since filed suit against LADWP, accusing the company of negligence in failing to inspect and maintain its electrical transmission lines, wires and equipment, among other allegations.
"As a company, they had a responsibility to maintain equipment, surroundings and those kinds of things, and according to this report those things weren't maintained the way they were supposed to be," said Vivian Buentiempo, who lost her home in the blaze.
- Breaking News Alerts: Download the NBCLA News App
LADWP said no one would comment until the company receives the full investigative report, but officials said in a statement that "LADWP does not believe that equipment age was a factor in the cause of the fire."
Lolita Lopez contributed to this report.