Man Lights Himself on Fire in SoCal Starbucks | NBC Southern California

Man Lights Himself on Fire in SoCal Starbucks

Customers helped douse the flames after the man stumbled out of the bathroom and collapsed near the entrance, officials say

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    NewsChopper4
    One person was hurt with "extensive burns" while at a Southern California Starbucks on Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2015, officials said.

    A man was critically hurt with burns covering 90 percent of his body after lighting himself on fire inside the bathroom of a Southern California Starbucks on Tuesday morning, officials said.

    Before 8:20 a.m., a man walked into a Starbucks in the 15300 block of Sherman Way in Van Nuys and went inside the bathroom, Los Angeles fire officials said.

    After he went into the bathroom, bystanders heard "an explosive sound." The man then staggered out of the bathroom and collapsed near the entrance, where Starbucks customers helped douse the flames, officials said.

    Firefighters said man had "extensive burns" and was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

    The burns cover 90 percent of his body, officials said.

    Aerial video showed firefighters and police officers outside the Starbucks and on the business' roof.

    The victim is possibly a transient who is about 60 years old, officials said.

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment:iPhone/iPad App | Facebook| Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Email Alerts