Bloomberg via Getty Images
President Donald Trump vowed Thursday to crack down on leaks that prompted Manchester police to withhold information from the United States about the investigation into this week's bombing. He also chastised NATO leaders for not paying their fair share to protect the long-standing alliance.
A British official said Thursday that Manchester police have decided not to share further information on the investigation due to leaks blamed on U.S. officials. Trump, who said there is "no relationship we cherish more" than the one with the U.K., declared the leaks "deeply troubling" and said he was asking the Justice Department to lead an investigation into the matter.
"These leaks have been going on for a long time and my administration will get to the bottom of this," Trump said in a written statement. "The leaks of sensitive information pose a grave threat to our national security."
Trump issued his sharp rebuke from Brussels, a city he once called a hellhole, where he was addressing leaders at both the European Union and NATO, a pair of alliances whose necessity he has questioned.
Getty Images, WPA Pool
British police arrested two more people and searched a new site in Manchester suspected of links to the concert bombing that left 22 people dead, as British authorities complained bitterly Thursday about investigation leaks blamed on U.S. officials.
British Prime Minister Theresa May said she plans to raise the issue with President Donald Trump at the NATO summit in Brussels. She said she plans to "make clear to President Trump that intelligence that is shared between our law enforcement agencies must remain secure."
British officials are particularly angry that photos detailing evidence about the bomb used in the Manchester attack were published in The New York Times, although it is not clear that the newspaper obtained the photos from U.S. officials.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
Thursday's nationally-watched election for Montana's sole congressional seat got a last-minute twist when the Republican candidate, Greg Gianforte, was charged with misdemeanor assault for grabbing a reporter by the neck and throwing him to the ground.
Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin made the announcement shortly before midnight Wednesday in a written statement, about six hours after the attack on reporter Ben Jacobs of The Guardian. Gianforte would face a maximum $500 fine or 6 months in jail if convicted. The statement added that Jacobs' injuries did not meet the legal definition of felony assault.
Gianforte was in a private office preparing for an interview with Fox News when Jacobs came in without permission, campaign spokesman Shane Scanlon said.
The sand on Siesta Beach on Florida's Gulf Coast is as fine as powdered sugar, a pure, sparkling white and soft as a kitten's fur — all because it's comprised of 99 percent pure crushed quartz.
For that reason, and many others, it was selected this year as the best beach in America by a professor who's made a career ranking and studying beaches around the United States.
If the Republican health reform plan becomes law, states trying to save money on health insurance are likely to seek cuts on services like maternity care, mental health and dentist visits for kids, the Congressional Budget Office found Wednesday.
NBC News reports that health care advocates find the lack of an "essential health benefits" coverage requirement in the bill, passed by the House before the CBO score was released, will leave many patients without adequate coverage.
"Women and their families will pay higher costs and receive less coverage, especially for maternity care, under the American Health Care Act," said Stacey Stewart, president of the March of Dimes, which funds research to prevent birth defects.
Essential benefits requirements from "Obamacare" are very popular with American voters. The CBO predicted that some states will opt out of them, so they can seek lower premiums, leaving some people living there likely priced out of the market.
Get More at NBC News
May 25th is Red Nose Day, which helps children living in poverty, and has attracted some big names to the cause. This year, the charity is debuting a long-awaited sequel to a beloved movie to help raise money.
NBC 5 News
North Texas authorities pursued a man driving a recreational vehicle with his children inside through four counties after the man allegedly shot a woman early Thursday, authorities said.
Police said the driver, who was possibly armed, headed west on Interstate 30 after a shooting in Hunt County at about 3 a.m. Multiple police departments joined the pursuit during the next 30 minutes through Rockwall and Dallas counties.
Garland police said they used spike strips on the RV, damaging several tires and slowing the pursuit to about 20 mph as the driver headed toward Grand Prairie.
Family Handouts; AP Images
Several people killed in Monday's Manchester concert bombing have been identified so far by authorities, schools or their families. They range in age from 8 years old to a Polish couple who had come to pick up their daughters.
Twenty-two people died in the explosion outside an Ariana Grande concert in the large British city, while 119 people were wounded in the city's worst attack, authorities said.
Georgina Callander, 18, was the first victim to be identified, as her former Manchester-area school, Bishop Rawstorne Church of England Academy, identified her.
"She was academically a very gifted student, very hard-working. Just lovely to speak to," deputy headteacher Peter Rawlinson said.
Medical officials said 12 children under the age of 16 were among those injured in the suicide bombing attack at a pop concert in England's second-largest city.
The children were among those people taken to hospitals after the explosion at Manchester Arena Monday night, where hundreds of teenagers and youngsters were attending an Ariana Grande concert.
Everybody loves a good deal, right? And shopping for groceries is no exception. View gallery »
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting an above-normal 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season, with between 11 and 17 named storms.
NOAA is giving a 45 percent probability for an above-normal season, with a 35 percent probability for a near-normal hurricane season and a 20 percent probability for a below-normal season.
Between five to nine hurricanes are predicted, along with two to four major hurricanes.
At least 22 people including children were killed and 119 injured in a suspected... View gallery »
Attorney Lee Merritt/Getty
The winner of Miss Black Texas 2016 says she was harassed and berated by a North Texas police chief who called her a "black b----," and then was unlawfully detained and arrested.
Carmen Ponder recounted her alleged interaction with Commerce Police Chief Kerry Crews in a Twitter post Tuesday. She is calling for police accountability and wants charges filed against Crews.
NBC 5 News, File
Ten of the 15 fastest-growing cities with populations of 50,000 or more were spread across the South in 2016, with four of the top five found in Texas, according to new population estimates released Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau.
The family of the Canadian girl who was snatched off a pier by a sea lion last weekend is speaking out for the first time, announcing that she is being for a related infection known as “seal finger,” NBC News reported.
Dramatic video of the sea lion grabbing the girl and dragging her into the water in British Columbia was posted online Saturday and quickly went viral.
An older man who appeared to be a relative jumped into the water and quickly rescued her. The girl's father credits the older relative's quick-thinking with saving her life.
"If he had one- or two-second doubt about that, my girl could have been gone by then. That reaction, makes him a hero," the girl's father said in an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
The girl is now being treated for “seal finger,” an infection that is caused by the host of bacteria common in seals’ mouths that are uncommon to land mammals, according to NBC News.
The infection can be treated promptly with antibiotics.
Get More at NBC News
President Donald Trump made his first international trip since taking office... View gallery »