Should the sale and possession of marijuana for recreational use be legal? Californians will decide on Nov. 2.
Here are just a few of the arguments from supporters and detractors of Prop. 19.
- -- $1.2 to $1.4 billion in annual sale tax revenue.
- -- International drug cartels and gangs in U.S. will be weakened.
- -- Fewer State prisoners on pot charges (currently: 1,629 at cost of over $52,000 each, per year).
- -- Less violence in poor communities where drugs are dealt illegally.
- -- Prop. 19 is poorly written with holes that will cause unintended consequences.
- -- Roads, workplaces and communities will be less safe.
- -- Social and medical costs will exceed tax profits.
- -- Marijuana is the gateway drug to more serious mind altering substances.