Officials Crack Down on Hundreds of Pot Shops Operating After Ban

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK

    Hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries continue to operate in Los Angeles even after a voter-approved measure limiting the number of businesses allowed in the city went into effect last summer, officials said Monday.

    Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer and police Chief Charlie Beck said real estate agents and property owners will have help in complying with the new regulations.

    Only about 130 dispensaries were exempt from banishment under Proposition D, which also increases taxes on the businesses and sets rules about their hours and distances from schools and parks.

    The city was home to about 1,000 dispensaries just a few years ago.

    Since the pot shop ban took effect in July, Feuer said he has filed hundreds of cases against business and property owners.

    “We've been prosecuting hundreds of dispensary owners, operators, managers and others -- nearly 300 such individuals have been the subject of our criminal prosecution so far,'' he said.

    Feuer said brochures will be passed out to real estate brokers so they, and the businesses and owners they are representing, are aware of the new regulations.

    Beck said that all of LAPD’s 165 senior lead officers will be trained in the new law.

    City News Service contributed to this report. 

    Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: iPhone/iPad App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Instagram | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts