Chargers head coach Mike McCoy talks to reporters about why the team is limiting Manti Te'o's access to the media.
The football player’s personal life has been highlighted ever since he played at Notre Dame, where he was at the center of an elaborate hoax which involved a fake girlfriend. Since then, he has been drafted by the Chargers.
And Te’o still seems to be a ways off from warding questions about his past.
Maxim recently featured “Manti Te'o's Fake Girlfriend” on its annual list of the world’s 100 hottest women. The magazine said, “We think it might be nice to have an invisible girl of our own to love.”
Te’o then reportedly went to a Maxim promotional party in Los Angeles last week, where women featured on the list were in attendance.
On Monday, the media was not granted access to Te’o. During a Q-and-A session that afternoon, new coach Mike McCoy was asked by reporters why Te’o will not face the press until the mini-camp from June 11-13.
“Well we have a plan for him like everyone else,” said McCoy. “He’s here, he’s a young player and the organization has a schedule for him like we do every other player of putting him in front of the media, we’ll do it accordingly.”
The coach was then asked if he thought it was appropriate for Te’o to attend the Maxim party.
“Well he’s going to make certain decisions that he’s going to make and we’ll keep that in-house with what we think and what we do with that,” said McCoy.
McCoy added that he was unaware that Te’o attended the magazine event.