Former Laker Metta World Peace is back in Los Angeles as part of a PETA billboard campaign.
Peace posed with rescue dogs, Stella and Athena, for a billboard in the 2100 block of Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park. The ad -- "Report Animal Abuse: Guard the Home Team" -- is atop the Bob Barker Building, PETA's West Coast headquarters.
The ad is a reminder of the dangers of leaving animals in cars during hot summer weather. Peace also posed for PETA's Animal Birth Control campaign, encouraging people to spay and neuter their pets.
Peace joined the New York Knicks after the Lakers' 2012-2013 season ended with a first-round playoff exit. He spent four seasons with the Lakers and averaged 12.4 points and 5 rebounds per game last season.
More Southern California Stories:
- West Nile Virus Strikes 5 People in LA County
- Terry Smith Jr.'s Father Holding Public Memorial Service
- 14 Caught Entering U.S. Via Storm Drain
- Watch Live: NBC4 News at Noon
- Checks Cashed After Post Office Break-In
- Missing USC Student Found Safe
- Sheriff Reviews Racially Explicit Comedy Act
- Deputy Shoots, Kills Man in Violent Struggle