Thank you for your interest in the NBCLA.com paid internship.
Our program is an opportunity for driven students to take their skill set to the next level. This is a rigorous program designed exclusively for students who already have a mastery of reporting, writing and AP style, and are ready to learn more.
This is a paid position.
Students will be immersed in the day-to-day news gathering operations of the NBC4 Southern California digital team, including nbclosangeles.com, mobile apps and social accounts.
A passion for news and the Internet is a must.
You will be working with veteran digital journalists to write one to two stories a day, find sources, conduct interviews, compile research, build photo galleries, edit video and assist with social media and editorial planning. You will explore all aspects of digital journalism.
This is not a get-coffee, just-hang-out internship. You will be a part of our team, learning new skills every day. This is an opportunity to transition from college student to real-life journalist via the day-to-day challenges of the No. 2 media market in the country. By the end of the internship, you will leave with a well-rounded newsroom education and a portfolio of 30 to 50 articles.
Motivated students can thrive in this position.
Your intern experiences will include:
- Publishing dozens of original stories with your byline on NBCLA.com, including your own bio page. Some stories will be published nationally on NBCNews.com.
- Working closely with award-winning digital and on-air journalists
- Interviewing public officials, police officers, politicians and other prominent sources
- Researching complicated issues, including civic affairs and political matters
- Coordinating and executing special projects, such as Olympics, elections and major news.
- Producing breaking news under deadline
- Going out in the field with an NBC4 on-air journalist and photographer
- Working with multimedia, including video and photo galleries
- Composing updates, tweets, pins and Facebook posts for the NBCLA social campaigns
- Sitting in on high-level station-wide strategy and planning sessions
- Pitching original enterprise stories
- Learning cutting-edge web publishing tactics, including search engine optimization