Maize Cake Salsa Semilla
Chef John Rivera Sedlar of "Playa" in Beverly Hills is striving to achieve an urban Latin experience, a dynamic combination of earth and sea, rustic flavors and textures and fresh, briny air, the fractured desert light of Santa Fe and the vibrant energy of modern Los Angeles. Chef John gives us a Valentine's twist on the normal tortilla.
Maseca Corn Masa Tortilla
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted black sesame seeds
- Prepare the masa and set aside.
- For the salsa semilla: combine all the seeds.
- Divide the masa into 6 small balls.
- With a tortilla press and 2 sheets of plastic wrap, press the balls into round cakes making sure not to press them too thin.
- Before you remove each tortilla from the press evenly divide the seeds and nuts over the 6 tortillas and press into the cakes.
- Stack the tortillas between wax paper.
- Place the tortillas on a heated grill and cook the tortillas until slightly charred on each side - about 2 minutes each side.
- Stir together the lime juice, olive oil and mint leaves.
- In a cocktail shaker (or a bowl) add the mint dressing and about 5 ice cubes - shake or stir until cold.
- Place each of the tortillas on a plate.
- Divide the cheese evenly onto each tortilla.
- Season the cheese with the salt and pepper.
- Mix the dressing with the arugula lettuce and top the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.